Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I got the Baby!


Here is my king cake baby! Sorry he is blurry.
Another south Louisiana tradition. During Mardi Gras season the bakeries make king cakes. They are dough with cinnamon and can be filled with cream cheese, cream cheese and fruit, fruit, pecan praline, or chocolate. The tops are decorated with icing and sprinkled with gold, green, and purple sugar to represent the colors of Mardi Gras. Traditionally the cakes have a plastic baby inside somewhere and the person that gets the baby gets to buy the next cake. I guess it is my turn. Ambrosia Bakery is where the one we just had came from. If you click on the picture of the king cake there is a little bit of history. Oh and that Strawberry cake pictured on the front page of their website is divine!

2 comments:

Kathy A. said...

Congratulations on finding the baby. I'll bet the cake you pick will be scrumptious. I have made two trips to New Orleans and I must say it is one of my favorite cities. I love all the history and the warmth of the people.

Sandy said...

Oh lucky you. LOL I want to eat a King Cake soooo bad. We still haven't gotten one yet. There's a place in Picayune, MS called Paul's Pasty's that makes the best King Cakes. Thanks for the reminder. :D